Begin Creating Your Own Destiny By First Creating a Personal Mission Statement
One way I’ve found to help visualize my ultimate destiny is to create a personal mission statement.
What is a personal mission statement?
In the 1990s it became fashionable for companies to apply for and receive ISO certification. This is a process that a company would go through to document everything it did, with the idea being that organizations with sound processes and quality products could be identified. Part of the ISO process is for a company to create a mission statement:
What do we as a company want to do and what do we as a company stand for”
I suggest you create something similar. In one paragraph, describe what it is that you want to “do” here on earth during your lifetime.
- What do you want to focus your efforts on?
- Be remembered for?
- Work towards?
My Personal Mission Statement:
I wrote my own personal mission statement in July 1997. As life has changed, so has my statement, I have modified it slightly, as life has dictated.
I dedicate myself from this day on to improve the world as much as possible by being:
- A strong individual who is a man of God
- A positive role model, strong influence and best friend to my children by teaching them values, discipline, respect, self-esteem, confidence and love, as well as giving them the freedom to explore the world
- A grown child who will make my parents proud, and someday reward them for their love and for helping teach me how to become successful
- A positive influence to those who aspire to grow on a personal and career basis through my motivational speaking, coaching, Web site, tapes, books and other written materials.
- A positive influence to young people who are beginning to make decisions about their own futures
- A successful business owner
- A philanthropist helping those in need
- A happy, positive person with a good sense of humor
- A caring and forgiving human being
Creating your own Personal Mission Statement…
As you can see, a personal mission statement is really about who you are and what you believe in. To help you get started thinking about your own mission statement, think of these things:
- What do you want to be remembered for in life?
- What do you want your grandchildren to say, think or believe about you?
- What do you believe in?
- Why do you work?
- What is your higher calling in life?
- What changes do you need to make?
- What are your visions?
- What are your dreams?
- What is your destiny?
Take the time to create your personal mission statement, this is a great way to visualize your dreams and create your own destiny.
This is an excerpt from my book Creating Your Own Destiny.
As a Motivational Keynote Speaker, I can speak on this subject or adapt my subject to your audience.