How Can You Gain Power by Setting Goals?
What is the power of goals?
A person’s goals define who that person will become and what that person stands for. Only those who set goals in sync with the visualization of their destiny will achieve their destiny.
Your Goals define you
In order to establish your goals, of course you must be clear on what it is that you want in life.
W.L. Hunt once said: “The first key to success is to decide exactly what it is is you want in life.”
Goals should have these attributes:
- They should be written down: Write down your goals, then keep them handy to review frequently.
- They should be specific: A goal such as the following is too vague: “I want to make more money.”
- Instead, make your goals as specific as possible: “This year I want to generate $50,000 in my home-based business.
- They should have a built in time frame for measurement purposes: Again, avoid this: “I want to save enough for a down-payment on a house.”
- Instead, write your goal like this: “I want to save $X by December 31, 200x for a down-payment on a house.”
- They should be reviewed and updated on a regular basis: Reviewing your goals frequently keeps them fresh in your mind.
- Plus, as events in your life change or as you reach certain goals, you’ll want to update your master goal sheet.
- I keep my goals inside my daily planner.
- Other ideas include attaching them to a calendar, keeping them in an “Important Information” file or in another location where you’ll be sure to see them frequently.
Earl Nightingale was one of the forefathers of goal research. Here is what he said on the importance of goal-setting:
“People with goals succeed because they know where they’re going.”
At some point in your life (I’m hoping that point in your life is right now) you must search your soul for these life defining questions:
- What are the 10 things I want “to be”?
- What are the 10 things I want “to do”?
- What are the 10 things I want “to have”?
- Where are 5 places in the world that I want “to go”?
- What are the 12 5-year goals that will help me accomplish questions 1-4?
- What are the 12 1-year goals that I must do to get me on my way?
- Where do I want to live?
- Who is the one person I want to make my journey with?
Don’t rush through this. The quality of your thinking and answers will go a long way in the ultimate quality of your goals.
This is an excerpt from my book “Creating Your Own Destiny”.
If you are an event or meeting planner, “The power of setting goals” is one of the many topics I can speak on, or I will be happy to customize the topic to relate to the needs and interests of the audience I will be speaking to.